On the morning of October 3rd, I will be delivering my first keynote at Breaking the ICEWest: a small, consumer-centered conference aimed at helping people with speech and language disabilities who use Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) systems to develop their lives to the best of their abilities.
My keynote will also be beamed into the similar event in Toronto, Ontario. Two keynotes in one!
In my presentation “Putting the Social into Social Media: How to Make Connections Online and In-Person”, I will be sharing tips on staying safe while using social media, a particular concern for this audience. I will also be sharing how social media has opened the world to me: how it has enabled my voice to be heard, and how I have made friends and connections from around the globe. This is also of particular importance to this group, for whom everyday interactions with people are difficult, if not impossible, often resulting in low self-esteem and self-confidence, and even social isolation.
As a final demonstration of the power of connections made online, I’d like to gift each attendee with an autographed copy of my autobiography I’ll Do It Myself. However, rather than seeking a corporate sponsor or two, it’d be awesome if the books came from you: my online community, my friends and my loyal readers.
To make this easy, feel free to use the “Buy me a café mocha” link right below this post to contribute. (Any amount is appreciated; books are $15.)
Here is how I am seeing this working:
- Up to 30 books contributed, I will give them as door prizes at the keynote in Vancouver.
- 30 books means every registered attendee in Vancouver will receive a copy.
- 31 to 69 books means every Vancouver attendee will receive one and door prizes will be given in Toronto.
- 70 books means every registered attendee at both events (Vancouver and Toronto) will receive a copy.
- Any money over and above the 70 books will go to the cost of shipping 40 books to Toronto.
- Any money remaining after the shipping cost will be donated to my favourite charity Union Gospel Mission.
At this point, all that I can give to those who contribute is a huge heartfelt thank you and I’ll add your name to the printed List of Contributors that I will tuck inside each book. If you would like a website or short message to appear beside your name, please note that in the comment section below.
Given that books for Toronto need to be shipped several days prior to the event, receiving contributions by Friday, September 25th, would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much! And, thank you for being part of my community.If you enjoyed this post, consider buying me a chai tea latte. Thanks kindly.