Thank you to everyone who supported my proposal to South by Southwest (SXSW) Conference!
I am off to Austin, Texas, in March 2011! Yes!
For the masses, the iPad is the latest, hottest, must-have toy. But, for people with disabilities the iPad is life changing: enabling communication, unlocking minds and fostering independence. However in purchasing these devices lays the challenge: oftentimes websites with product information are inaccessible to this market, which has a discretionary spending power of $175 billion in the United States alone.
The sessionâ€™s goals are to identify some barriers people with disabilities regularly face, making it difficult to participate fully online; explain the four guiding principles of what makes blogs and websites accessible; and offer key questions to begin asking and what resources exist to make sites more accessible to this under tapped market. By giving short vignettes of how people with disabilities are using iPads, faces are put to the size of this disability market – and putting faces to the need for web accessibility. This brings alive the technical requirements and guiding principles of web accessibility.
- How is the iPad life-changing for many people with disabilities?
- What is the size of the disability market and its spending power?
- What are the barriers people with disabilities face online?
- What are the four guiding principles to creating accessible websites and blogs?
- Where do I start in making my website or blog accessible?
Now the work beginsâ€¦
Thanks again everyone for your support! I am truly blessed.If you enjoyed this post, consider buying me a chai tea latte. Thanks kindly.